Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thoughts before the last race of the season.....


We are most of the way through getting the car ready for Bowling Green. The engine is back together and in the car. The clutch is in. We just have a few final things to finish up and we should be ready a week or so early. Fed Ex threw us a curve when I shipped the manifold, injector and fuel system to John for inspection and flow testing. The boxes arrived crushed and mangled and the stainless steel fuel lines and Y nozzles on the manifold were badly bent and twisted. Nothing that we can't get repaired but it definately slowed us down. I had the packages insured and I have filed a claim with Fed Ex but for some reason I expect a fight to get reimbursed for the damages..........
We are all very excited about Bowling Green and we really want to let it all hang out at this one. We've learned a lot this year and progressed at each race. I am hoping it will all come together for the last race of the season but this is top fuel racing. There are a million ways for things to go wrong and only one way for things to go right.
As the team owner thoughts of the winter and next season start to work their way to the forefront of my mind. I have been diligently making contact with potential sponsors all year long but as of yet I haven't found that "right" one for this team.
My "other job" which I have held for 13.5 years is coming to an end Dec. 15. Big changes loom on the horizon for Susan and I. I could quite likely end up going to college again for the next 2 years. The days of racing out of my own pocket will have to end. That puts a lot more pressure on me to find a sponsor. We have a lot to offer and would work our tails off to make sure they got their money's worth but there is a lot of competition for the sponsor's dollar and as we all know times are tough and the budgets aren't being expanded. I will not give up. I will work harder. I will succeed or die trying. I have great people around me and a LOT of determination.

Brad

No comments: