Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fed Ex - not the tightest ship in the shipping business









I feel a warning to my blog readers is in order. I mentioned the damage that occurred to my parts in the last post. I filed a claim with Fed Ex for the damages. They picked up the packages from DRE Racing and had an "Inspection Team" look them over. They then brought them back to DRE and when John opened them they were more damaged than before and to top it all off the inspection team reported no visible damage to the parts! UNBELIEVABLE! I called the Fed Ex claims manager and expressed my shock and dismay. She told me to send pictures - well we had plenty of them before and after - so I emailed them to her hoping that she would see the obvious damage and overturn the verdict of the inspection team and pay my claims. Please keep in mind that I paid extra money when I shipped these parts for insurance to cover their value! Miss Goldia Smurda, (Fed Ex claims manager)sent me two nice letters yesterday stating that my claims had been denied because there was no visible damage to the outer carton or contents. I guess unless the box has a huge hole in the side and the contents are in a hundred pieces there is no visible damage.
The morals of my story are:
1. Don't think because you buy insurance when shipping things that you are covered.
2. If you are shipping something valuable build a wooden crate for it. It'll be cheaper than the worthless insurance.
3. Use UPS whenever possible.
I posted before and after pictures of the manifold at the top of this page . Please comment on this post and tell me if you can see any visible damage.

Brad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad,
Did you get photos of the box? I used to work in shipping and receiving. I If the box was bent, you have a valid claim. Push this over her head. Her job is to reject your claim. I wouldn't give up on this one.
Randy C.

Anonymous said...

Similar FedEx nightmare for me: http://is.gd/31pL

Unknown said...

Brad,

I am currently dealing with the same deal at the moment. My guitar got damage ( big crack), and the person on the phone said that no visible damage had been done to the instrument.

http://www.oldcloset.com/claims.htm

Check out the website above. It seems that an amendment was passed to protect people like you in me. You might have to go to court, but you should win. Good Luck!

Jesse R.

Anonymous said...

The Carmack Amendment covers claims against shippers.

What you pay extra for is not "insurance" it is for the privilege of declaring a value greater than the value automatically assigned to virtually any product shipped.

That increased value is what the Carmack Amendment requires them to pay for damaged or lost goods.

If you have a problem getting their attention, remind them of the McEachern lawsuit in California.

The claimer in that case won a verdict of more than 1.5 Million dollars for damage to a $17,500 piece of equipment.

The Lawyer's name was Mazzocone.